Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Out of Commission

  I Frequently get asked the question if I "do commissions".   The short answer is "no", but the long answer is "sometimes".  I realize the wishy-washy'ness of that answer, but the truth of the matter is that I just don't have the time.  Commissions, to some degree, limit my expression and creativity and only add to the long list of deadlines I have in my creative life.  There is, however, occasions when I get an unusual request to make something that is so intriguing and out of my comfort zone that I have to do it.  Usually this request will challenge me on different creative levels, and I feel that the project will help me grow as an artist.  So, I guess the old adage that "It never hurts to ask" is still in play.
    ON that note, here is a pic of a commission piece I just completed.  The collector who requested the commission asked me to create a piece that was "dark" and menacing.  They suggested wings, and a few other details, but gave me a wide creative berth to add my own concepts.  It was an ideal commission for me because there were very few restraints, and gave me a challenge to "go dark", when most of the work I do is whimsical in nature.  I had a great time creating this piece.  There is a back story to this character and what it is, but the simple explanation is that it's a soul collector.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did making it.
    Thanks for stopping by!  ~Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment